This week the Sulphur Springs community of Washington County, Tennessee is having their annual Methodist Camp Meeting. This revival started in 1820 when James Monroe was President.
There are no horses and wagons tied off at the camp ground now, but a lot of gasoline engine automobiles, parked wherever they could find a 10 Ft. gap. The local police were helping with the crowds and traffic.
The open-air shed that the services are held in was filled up Sunday and the throng was spread deep,on the outside all around the building. Outside worshipers brought folding lawn chairs and some sat on the ground. It was announced that one lady, present Sunday night, had attended 91 consecutive camp meetings. This was nearly half of the time the services have been held.
It was a relief, considering the present weak condition of the Church and muted Christian message, to find a service undisturbed by the world or the world’s values. A worship that could simply proclaim the powerful truth of the salvation and the life in Jesus Christ. There is still power in the blood.